Dr Sam (Waisam) Hoong is a fully registered Clinical Psychologist based in Perth, Western Australia. She specialises in the management and treatment of a range of mental health issues, including severe anxiety disorders (panic, GAD, OCD), depression, complex trauma, relationship difficulties and chronic pain. Dr Hoong has a PhD from the University of Western Australia, a Masters degree in Clinical Psychology, as well as a BA (Hons) &, B.Ed (Hons).
As a Chinese-born Singaporean, in addition to English, she speaks Cantonese, Mandarin and Hokkien, and can counsel in these languages as required. Influenced by her background in Asian healing practices, Dr. Sam strongly advocates the use of mindful awareness and meditation and utilises a combination of mindfulness and clinical hypnosis with many of her clients.
As a clinical psychologist, Dr. Sam is recognised as a provider of clinical psychological services by Medicare Australia and private health funds and is eligible for higher clinical psychology rebates.
Dr. Sam practices from her rooms in Shenton Park as well as a number of other locations around Perth listed on the “locations” page of this website. She may also be contacted during office hours on 0433 220 299, by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by using the “contact” form on this website.
Areas of Expertise
Dr. Sam has specialized training and experience in the assessment and treatment of a full range of mental health issues, including:
- Addiction (smoking, gambling, drinking)
- Anger management
- Anxiety disorders and phobias
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Childhood behaviour problems
- Grief and loss
- Eating disorders and weight loss
- Panic attacks
- Relationship difficulties
- Sexual problems
- Victim of crime
- Workplace problems
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Complex trauma
- Self-harm and suicide
- Sexual abuse
- Sleeping disorders
- Criminal behaviour
About Dr. Sam
Dr. Sam (Waisam) Hoong began her professional life as a schoolteacher, specialising in Mathematics. She developed a passionate interest in traditional Chinese healing practices, and studied Chinese medicine in both Singapore and Shanghai, becoming a licensed Acupuncturist and Chinese Physician in 1993.
After moving to Australia, Dr. Sam studied psychology at the University of Western Australia, earning her PhD researching the effects of assessment tools used in the diagnosis of psychopathic tendencies.
She began her working career in psychology as a school psychologist, before moving to the Department of Child Protection. She continued her studies and completed her Clinical Psychology Masters, becoming a fully registered clinical psychologist. Her Masters’ research project explored the functions of Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy and Emotion Freedom Therapy in reducing stress of individuals suffering from cancer.
- Member of Australian Psychological Society (APS)
- Member of Institute of Clinical Psychologist
- Fellow APS College of Clinical Psychologist
- Member of International Society of Hypnosis (ISH)
- Member of Australian Institute of Clinical Hypnosis and Psychotherapy (AICHP)
- Psychology Board of Australia (AHPRA) – Registered Psychologist
Endorsement: Area of Practice – Clinical Psychologist
Academic Awards & Honours
- Travel Award given by the American Psychological Society for best poster submission (2005)
- Postgraduate Research Scholarship awarded by University of Western Australia for excellence in research programme (2002-2004)
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarship awarded by University of Western Australia for excellence in academic achievement; only twelve of these scholarships are offered each year. (2001)
- Cecil Andrews Prize in Education awarded by University of Western Australia to the student who, in the opinion of the Board of Examiners in Education, is the most outstanding student completing the requirements for the degree of Bachelor of Education with Honours (2001)
- Frank Gamblen Scholarship awarded by University of Singapore for academic excellence to assist with travel costs associated with an exchange programme of overseas research (1999)
- W. Hoong et al. (2005). Relationships between Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Conduct Disorder, Psychopathy, and Aggression: The Fledgling Psychopath Hypothesis; In M. Larimer (Ed.), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder ( pp. 69-102).
East meets West
Throughout her career, Dr. Sam has developed and maintained an approach that harmonises eastern practices of mindfulness and meditation with contemporary western approaches to psychotherapy. Dr. Sam utilises a technique that integrates mindful awareness with clinical hypnosis when treating a variety of disorders and has found this mode of treatment to be very beneficial to her patients.
Committed to life-long learning, Dr. Sam strives to engage with the latest treatment techniques. As well as individual sessions, she enjoys facilitating regular mindfulness groups, and utilises mindfulness practice in her own busy life. Dr Sam has worked extensively with individuals who have been sexually, physically and emotionally abused from different cultural background and age group.
Dr Sam utilises a variety of intervention including Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) and Clinical Hypnosis with many of her clients. She also utilises Psychodynamic approaches, Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Psychosensory Therapy and Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR) for dealing with traumatic life experiences and helping them make sense of their stories.
Sessions with a psychologist are made more affordable with Medicare rebates when you get a referral from your doctor. With a Mental Health Treatment Plan, you can get up to 10 sessions per year, with only the gap fee payable. Speak to your GP about a Mental Health Treatment Plan and a Medicare referral to Dr Sam Hoong.
Make a Booking Without a Referral
You can make a booking for a private session without a referral. Simply call us during office hours on 0433 220 299 to book a session. Check with your health insurance company to determine if you can make a claim for your session. If you book without a referral, you would not be entitled to a Medicare rebate.
In order to facilitate processing and best utilise your initial appointment time, we kindly ask you to download and complete the Client Consent Form.
Dr Sam is able to offer a diverse range of treatments, which are catered to the specific needs of each individual. With a wide array of training and experience utilising interpersonal, cognitive-behavioural and mindfulness based techniques, Dr. Sam is able to to provide support for a variety of mental health issues.
Dr. Sam favours an integrative approach to treatment that is suited to the specific needs of her individual clients. Drawing upon a variety of psychotherapeutic techniques, she creates a warm, empathic environment essential for healing to occur. Whether working with individuals, couples or family groups, Dr. Sam stresses the need for a strong and trusting therapeutic relationship.